ARASHDEEP (LUCKY) RAI
Christchurch Sous Chef
Having joined the Burger Burger Family almost 5 years ago in our Ponsonby Team as a Kitchen Porter. Lucky’s passion, dedication & hardwork has led him down to Christchurch to open our brand new restaurant there as a senior leader. Originally from the north part of Punjab Lucky migrated to NZ with a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science but followed his nose into chef school here. We are sooo grateful to have him, he brings a level of professionalism & positivity every single day to the team, topped off with a smiley happy face ALWAYS.
We asked Lucky to share a special recipe with us that is close to his heart that we can whip up at home. This Indian Lamb Curry is a favourite when craving comfort food & best served with Basmati rice.
INDIAN LAMB CURRY
- 1 kg lamb (cut into medium sized pieces)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 dry red chili
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 green chili, slit lengthwise
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic Paste
- 5 large tomatoes, finely chopped or pureed
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 4 tbsp masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp salt
- Add turmeric to the lamb & rub all over. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker (electric or stovetop)
- In the cooker saute fennel seeds, dry red chilli, bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom & cloves for a minute. Add green chilli, onions and ginger garlic paste. Cook this for 7-8 minutes till the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, masala, salt & cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes start breaking down slightly.
- Add the lamb, a cup of water & put the lid on.
- If using a stovetop pressure cooker, cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes (5-6 whistles). If using an electric pressure cooker or an instant pot, cook for 25 minutes and let pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure is released open the lid. Add a little water if the gravy is too thick.
- Stir in garam masala, kasuri methi (if using) and butter and simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
- Check & season to taste.
- Let the curry rest for 15 minutes before serving. & enjoy!